- An extremely readable and interesting account for all law students, offering the ideal support for a legal theory module, as well as providing valuable context for the study of law in general
- Written by an experienced academic and author, the text explains complex ideas with clarity, without avoiding the subtleties of the subject
- Exposes students to a broad range of key theorists and concepts, along with issues such as punishment and rights which are treated thematically
- Features pithy extracts and extensive further reading to introduce and explain the central scholarly works, ideas, and commentaries which shape legal theory, providing the ideal base for further study
- Self-test questions appear at the end of chapters and multiple-choice questions are hosted online to help students test their understanding of jurisprudence
- Also available as an e-book with functionality, navigation features, and links that offer extra learning support
New to this Edition:
- Expanded discussions of theories of justice, globalisation, and environmental protection
- A new section dedicated to judicial review and democracy
- Updated suggested further reading lists and self-test questions at the end of each chapter
2:Natural law and morality
3:Classical legal positivism
4:Modern legal positivism
5:Dworkin and law's moral claims
7:Law and social theory
8:Historical and anthropological jurisprudence
9:Theories of justice
11:Why obey the law?
13:Critical legal theory
Raymond Wacks, Emeritus Professor of Law and Legal Theory, University of Hong Kong
Professor Raymond Wacks has taught jurisprudence around the world for over thirty years. He has published more than twenty books and numerous articles on legal philosophy, the right of privacy, and human and animal rights. His books have been translated into several languages including Arabic, Greek, Turkish, Chinese, Italian, Indonesian, Japanese, Thai, and Georgian.
Legal and General App
New Legal & General App is here
We are delighted to announce the release of our new Legal & General App it is the Four Courts shop in your pocket and at your fingertips.
The perfect companion to all members of the legal trade there will be a huge number of features added over time to serve the Legal community download it now
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.